So how was YOUR weekend? My weekend has been spent mostly UNdoing. I had to UNdo the Icord bindoff on my Dolores Shawl because the shawl was too small. (Or I’m too big; let’s just not go there right now.) I have six skeins into this shawl, and it sadly needs two more, which makes it a way bigger investment than I ever intended. So it had better be perfect when I’m done, and become one of my favorite items ever, and get worn frequently. Or else....
..... Or else I’ll frog the whole damned thing and start the search for the utterly perfect garment to use this Diodomina for....which of course will be something that takes twice as much yarn as I have so it will become an even bigger investment, which I don’t begrudge as long as it’s perfect when I’m done, and becomes one of my favorite items ever, and gets worn frequently. But I’m getting ahead of myself, so I’ll just add my two more skeins and see how it turns out.....
..... But I won’t use an Icord bindoff this time because I don’t like how it lies around the neck. The truth is I should have stuck with Silk Garden as the yarn of choice for this shawl. Diodomina is a light worsted. It just doesn’t have the weight to drape the way I’m visualizing. Hindsight, don’t ya just love it!!
And I thought I would have to rip out the honeymoon cami because my gauge is way off, and there’s no way a 37 inch hemline is going to enhance my tiny-proportioned DIL with her 32 inch hips. My hips need a 5 inch ease to disguise the fact that I need a 5 inch ease. But her hips can show themselves off. Sigh. But after re-measuring, it’s actually only 33 inches, and that’s probably okay, but I do need a size 4 needle to continue, and as any Denise fan knows, they only go down to size 5. So I’m temporarily stalled.
(Tiny-hipped DIL and shaved-head son)
And while I was at it, I took off the left-side fasteners from my Antarctica Jacket and repositioned them to get rid of the gap that was appearing between the fasteners. The gap is NOT due to being too small, because I built in a huge amount of ease. It’s just the way the edges come together with those fasteners. Problem fixed, but while I was at it, I gathered up every loose button I could remember and sewed them all back on.
Which made me reflect about buttons and how much I have always hated the task of sewing them on. Hated to the point of eventually having to discard a perfectly good item because I left it go so long that I lost track of where I ever put the button, and then I couldn’t find a replacement, and I sure wasn’t going to replace every darned button, and who oh why couldn’t I just sew them on right away in the first place and save myself a lot of grief?
And I decided that it’s terribly important for buttons to be so beautiful that they become a pleasure to sew on....much the same way that it’s terribly important that the miles of yarn going through my fingers has to be so lovely to look at, and so wonderful to feel, that I will love every moment of what comes to feel like endless stockinette or garter or seed or whichever pattern stitch I am working with. (And if my hips didn’t require so much ease, it wouldn’t feel so endless, now would it, but let’s just not go there right now.)
So I hearby resolve that when I make any item that requires buttons or fasteners, I will not skimp on this important accessory. I will search near and far to find just the right button; if necessary I’ll take classes and learn to make my own.
There. I feel better now. Hope you all had a great weekend too.